Saturday, September 15, 2012

No idea

So while sitting at my desk at work, I stare at the computer screen. I have been tasked to to something, it could be another texture... (there are always more textures to do), or the odd chance I get to sculpt. I look at the reference, and then I look to what I have on my screen and then it suddenly dawns on me.

Now that is not saying I don't know what I am doing from a technical stand point, or even from an artistic stand point. I complete the task and I do a good job of it, but I still have the feeling at the end of the day that I am completely lost on what I just did.

My name is Daniel Driussi, I graduated from The Art Institute of California San Diego in 2008. Half a year later I found myself working at VASG (Visual Arts Service Group (and worst acronym ever)) a studio owned by SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) in San Diego as a production artist. My job was to process scanned data and sculpt them so they are ready to be textured and then have the final sculpt phase done on it. After two or three weeks of working there I was asked to try my hand at doing some photo realistic textures basted on the photos from the scans. I have been doing that and getting the occasional final sculpting job for almost four years now. Now I find myself with in the character art and scan team bouncing back and forth to whom ever needs me. My sculpting is good enough, yet I take to long to complete the sculpts that I am tasked with to be fully useful in the character team as a sculptor more then a texture artist. I still help process scan data when they need a lot done fast, and my primary job it seems is to do high quality textures. 

But what do I want to do? I know I would rather sculpt then texture. I also know I would like to work in either the game or movie field, either does not matter to me. I know quite a bit about what I do and what I want to do. I know how I got to where I am, and I know how to  get to where I want to be.

Then why do I have this feeling still that I have no idea what I'm doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment